Thursday, October 20, 2011

What were YOU doing in 1985?

Angels In America takes place in 1985.
What else was going on in 1985?
Average Income per year $22,100.00
Average Monthly Rent $375.00

Average Price for new car $9,005.00

1 gallon of gas $1.09
Movie Ticket $2.75
US Postage Stamp 22 cents
IN THE NEWS
The first Mobile phone call in the UK is made by Ernie Wise (First cellular call in US was in 1973 by Martin Cooper)
Live Aid pop concerts in Philadelphia and London raise over 50 million for famine relief in Ethiopia.
Boris Becker becomes youngest winner at 17 to win the men's Wimbledon championships
Insurance companies begin screening for Aids for life insurance causing outcry by civil liberties groups.
The Food and Drug Administration approves a blood test for AIDS,
The first .Com domain name, symbolics.com, is registered by the Symbolics corporation.
Microsoft Corporation releases the first version of Windows, Windows 1.0.
Compact Discs are introduced to American Consumers
British Scientists discover a hole in the earths Ozone Layer
Actor Rock Hudson, the first major public figure known to have AIDS, dies.
Coca-Cola Company introduces New Coke ( 6 months later they returned to the original formula )
Popular Movies
Politicians
President Ronald Reagan
Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
General Secretary of the CPSU Mikhail Gorbachev
Popular TV
Top Songs

5 comments:

  1. I was working at the Drama Book Shop in NYC and establishing my stage manager cred by doing any gig that didn't conflict with my day job. I also saw on stage for the first time my future (and current) wife, although it would be a year before I actually met her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT's romantic! Even the part about working at Drama Book Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoarding coke classic while wearing a raspberry beret and watching Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was on my junior year abroad in Manchester, England when,on Oct. 29, 1985, my dad had a bike accident on his way home from work (he was a religious studies professor at UNC). Severe brain damage. He was in the hospital for 7 months, and I traveled back and forth from England numerous times. There was some talk of this new disease and whether it might be transmitted from blood transfusions. Luckily, he didn't get AIDS, but his brain damage is severe and permanent. My mom has cared for him for 26 years now. She's my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I graduated high school, performed in Damn Yankees at my local community theatre and put together a band to play at the county fair talent show. We were terrible! We dressed like we were working for Prince, but played Beatles covers. :-/

    ReplyDelete