Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Number - First Rehearsal

A Number – First Rehearsal 3/23/09

The first rehearsal for the NC Stage Company production of Caryl Churchill’s play A Number began this past Monday with an intimate table reading followed by a discussion among the cast and crew members about their impressions and interpretations of the play. Those present at this meeting included the director, actors, stage manager, sound designer, producer, and costume designer. I felt apprehensive when initially meeting everyone, but they were all welcoming and seemed excited about my blogging endeavor. I do not have previous experience with writing for a blog. I am, however, passionate about both writing and theatre and am curious to combine these areas of interest through blogging about the process of the rehearsals and production of this play.

A Number is a fascinatingly bizarre drama based on family and cloning. In the NC Stage production, directed by Ron Bashford, two actors will be playing five separate roles. Actors Charlie Flynn-McIver and Graham Smith are currently in the process of working with Ron rehearsing the play and analyzing the complexity of the story itself. While observing the table reading of the script during the first rehearsal, I couldn’t help but notice that both actors were very well suited for their roles. The emotions evoked within their characters’ words came naturally and the tension built between them seemed eerily real. The actors paused after particular lines which they found perplexing or interesting in terms of the story and a discussion would ensue between everyone present as to the possibilities the lines might have. Both cast and crew members also talked about their individual interpretations of the characters and what reasons they might have for expressing specific emotions and statements. At times, I felt compelled to add to these discussions, but initially refrained in order to keep a distant presence. This is not to say that I thought I was not allowed to speak my mind and convey my suggestions, but I observed in particular that the conversations between the actors and the director exclusively was an intimate part in the process of analyzing the play. To watch them play around so candidly with their ideas was mesmerizing to me. I eventually began adding my own interpretations of certain aspects of the play and the characters. I was actually surprised and delighted by how open everyone was to my input.

While taking notes during rehearsal, I suddenly realized that I did not know how I could ever write entries for the NC Stage blog without divulging too much information about the play, subsequently ruining the story for those who intend to see the show when it opens in April. I decided later that it is not the story told by the play itself that I should be concerned with discussing in my entries, but the events and breakthroughs which transpire during the progression of the rehearsals. For those who intend to keep up with my entries, I encourage questions about the proceedings of the preparation for A Number. I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Stay tuned for more exciting behind the scenes news!

-Elizabeth Dacy

No comments:

Post a Comment