Monday, September 20, 2010

Angels Designer Insight

Just last week I came up with a few questions for our design team to answer about their process, the play, and some personal anecdotes relating to the play. Today we have the responses of Jason Waggoner, our sound designer.

1) What's your history with this play?
I actually have never seen Angels on stage or screen. I knew about it by reputation only, but didn't encounter it in my professional or personal life until NC Stage approached me about designing this production. I feel like this is an advantage in some ways specifically because I don't have any preconceived notions about the show or how it should be done. Essentially, I can have a completely unencumbered design process for it.

2) What has been your biggest design challenge for Angels?
The sheer size of the text has been quite a challenge. I am at a point in my career where I am almost insisting on composing any music used in my designs, with the exception of incidental music called for by the script, of course. With a play like Angels, a play that has something in the neighborhood of 30 scenes, that's a fair amount of music to write. In addition to the sheer size of the show, trying to capture the feeling of Angels has proven a bit of a challenge. I want to keep the sound of the music rooted in reality, that is to say not write music that makes Angels seem like a fantasy play. However, I also want to keep the fantasy alive enough in the music that fantastic moments in the show can be supported by the score when appropriate. Doing all this and keeping the music from going stale through the show is a constant balancing act, it seems.

3) What aspect of the design process for this particular production excites or has excited you most?
Writing the music is always the most exciting part for me. I enjoy putting together sound effects and creating the aural environment of a show, but for me the most challenging and exciting part of a design is the composition.

4) When you think of 1985, what comes to mind first?
Punk rock, Reagan, AIDS epidemic, crack cocaine epidemic, Dallas (the TV show), my dad's rocking chair... to name a few.


5) What's your favorite chaser for hot dogs? Or, your preference: hot dog or antacid? Or, if that weirds you out, what's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
My favorite dog chaser is a nice cold PBR, I don't take antacid because I have insides made of iron, and my favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate chip.

6) Any other highlights/last words?
Doing Angels seems to be a modern right of passage almost. People talk about their first Romeo and Juliet, or their first Mamet play; Angels seems to be joining the ranks of theatrical monoliths that all actors, designers, and technicians do at some point in their career and remember as a milestone from that point forward. I entered this show fairly unassuming, and while I expect to come out the other side having experienced something profound, I feel I am remaining rather unassuming throughout the process. I feel extremely privileged to be going through this process with other artists that I know and trust, and who I know will support me and trust my decisions. I hope that as the audience experiences the full production of Angels in America, the passion and the heart of the people involved on all sides of the production will translate to a truly memorable and remarkable experience.
---

Be sure to check back later for some sneak peeks (sneak hears?) of what Jason's been working to create for the production, as well as more designer interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment