Monday, September 27, 2010

More Designer Responses... Questions, anyone?


For today's post we have James Johnson's responses to the designer questionnaire. James is our set designer, and here's what he had to say:

1) What's your history with this play? Angels in America was one of the first productions I was in during my college career. I was a freshman, and I played Prior Walter in Perestroika. I was in way over my head. I don’t think I understood the cultural importance of this play, which is integral to a quality production. For me, this play is so much more than a play, it’s a commentary, a critique, an adventure with America at the heart.

2) What has been your biggest design challenge for Angels? Ha! Biggest design challenge? How does an Angel crash through the roof? How do we move seamlessly from scene to scene in such a small space? How do you excite the production team with an interesting design? How do you speak to the audience through a design? A very good friend of mine once said, "I never finish a design, I simply abandon it." That statement speaks volumes to what I try to do onstage. Everything is a challenge, and should always be a challenge. But that’s why I love what I do!

3) What aspect of the design process for this particular production excites/has excited you most? I love finding interesting shapes and colors that can become other things or harken an idea. For this production we harken the look of New York, yet nothing really looks like New York. Its more American than that.

4) When you think of 1985, what comes to mind first? I wasn’t born yet... Is that weird?

5) What's your favorite chaser for hot dogs? Or, your preference: hot dog or antacid? Or, if that weirds you out, what's your favorite flavor of ice cream? Hot dogs are good anytime, I would just have another hot dog. Cookie Dough!
--- 

NCSC Mainstage: Angels in America
As we approach the opening of Angels in America, we will be posting some more responses of our design team about their process and vision for the production and interviewing some cast members about their experience. I just came up with the questions on my own, but how 'bout you? Do you have questions for our Director? Cast members? Designers? Artistic Director? Producing partners, Western North Carolina AIDS Project (WNCAP) or Posana Cafe?
 
Respond at the end of the post or email us. Hope to be hearing from you soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment